Welcome!

Join me on a trip to the South - the far south.

My husband and I will be driving from Illinois to the Riviera Maya in Mexico.




Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Thursday, Jan. 19th

What a great time last night….again.
It was Bea’s 80th birthday party and everyone was invited. I estimate there were at least 150 people there. Everyone brought a dish, their drinks, a table, and chairs. The host and hostess provided meat (roasted pork), vegetables (green beans), bread, a a huge birthday cake. The food reminded me of a Mexican version of the Methodist potluck. What wonderful food! I made 2 corn casseroles (Alicia’s recipe) and they were gone. Why in the world didn’t I take a picture or two of the food tables? Sheesh. Old age. Or just too busy socializing.

Besides the food last night, we have our own “band”. A group of guys have a band and they do a darned good job of singing the oldies. Other people in the park sing with them as well, so they‘re not an “exclusive“ group. We even had a group of kids here in the park who got together and rehearsed a song (complete with handmade instruments) for Bea.
Bea’s husband sang a special love song for her. It was really touching. Even the guys said when you get to be our age, you want to make sure you take care of your special one and let her know how important she is to you. I try to think to do things for Pete just because it will make him happy and I’ve noticed that he does the same for me. Just because we love each other. I could go on, but I hear you saying…enough already with the mushy stuff.

I think I have a rep down here….reputation, that is. A 30ish woman (Veronica) came by with flour, ripe bananas, and nuts. She said, “Are you the baker? Would you bake banana bread for my kids? Even though I follow the recipe, mine turns out too oily.” I had to borrow sugar, baking powder, and pans from the neighbor (Kathy) So I made a double batch of banana nut bread. Veronica got a big loaf, with small loaves going to Kathy, Debbie (who was having a rough day yesterday), and one for us for breakfast. I’ve never put almonds in banana bread before. It turned out okay. It was moist enough. But pecans are better.

My first water aerobics class was today. I loved it! Water aerobics in the ocean. There is nothing like it. There were about 10 of us there.

No comments:

Post a Comment