Welcome!

Join me on a trip to the South - the far south.

My husband and I will be driving from Illinois to the Riviera Maya in Mexico.




Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Day 4 - Matamoros




Thought it was over, didn't you?

Did you know that Matamoros has no road signs? No highways signs?
Oh yeah. And I forgot to tell you that MY gps isn't able to download Maps from Mexico even though they are available. It's like holding them out there and sticking your tongue out there at me.

Well, since I had no idea and Matamoros is an absolutely unmarked pit of a city with speed bumps everywhere. And I really mean that. The road we were on had speed bumps 4, 5, 6 times per block. No exaggeration! We stopped at several gas stations, but nobody spoke any english. One guy even told me "this is Mexico". Like I didn't know THAT! So finally I went into a Pemex (gas) station and this was the 3rd or 4th time that nobody spoke english and I started to tear up and a very nice lady and teenage boy (hunk) tried really hard to figure out where I needed to be. (Yes, I had a map. I just wanted to get to the highway.) And finally we figured out aeropuerto. And another guy chimed in and the boy drew me a detailed map (which I am saving). And we got back to the highway and headed south.

Pete was so great. He never once said "where the hell are you taking me?" or even raised his voice. And I just cried. Several times. I was just about this close to a panic attack twice, but I do know how to deep breathe to get out of them.

By now, neither one of us have eaten all day and I know that I am going to throw up if I eat because I'm such a wreck. Holy cow, I thought I was an adventurer!

So finally we got to the highway and headed for Cuidad Victoria. (Victoria City) The drive was actually nice from there on in for about 3 hours. Horses. Green fields. Mesas and beautiful purple mountains in the distance.

No need to stress until we look for hotels, which we haven't seen any of for 3 hours. Finally, signs for a Best Western downtown....and a Sheraton. So we checked into BW, ate dinner, strolled around the park at the center of town, watched a soccer match, and went to Las Vegas Karaoke bar for a drink. It was so loud that we couldn't even converse, so we headed back to the room to relax and give me some time to catch up on this blog. Can hardly wait for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment