Welcome!

Join me on a trip to the South - the far south.

My husband and I will be driving from Illinois to the Riviera Maya in Mexico.




Sunday, June 20, 2010

Day 5 - Are we still in Mexico?


Well, I'd better finish up Day 4 because last night I received an email that my sister Shari was very very ill - ill enough that she might not make it long enough to get a transplant. So Pete and I did lots of praying throughout the night. In the morning, we got up and dressed for our drive to Tampico. I have to say that we were both basketcases in our own ways. Pete was worried for me and I was worried for him because the drive and the worry were so stressful.

We went down to our "breakfast included". There was a buffet line with yellow stuff, red stuff, brown stuff, green stuff, bread, and some fruit. I opted for toast and fruit. Honestly, I was too nervous to even eat. Pete looked at me and said, "We don't have to do this, you know." I replied, "What would happen if we didn't?" To which he replied back, " We just get in our car and drive back home." And you know, with both of us agreeing that this was absolutely the best plan, we checked out and headed north out of Victoria City.
You know, sometimes God gives you some warnings. He gave us a few touches on the shoulder...our perfect van that was checked and double checked started to have some squeaky brakes and then a little slipping of the transmission. Then getting lost. Finally, God kinda grabbed my by the cheeks and said "Your sister is sick and you're needed. How many other warnings do you want?" It was time to go home.

Beautiful mountains to the west. Same poverty, etc. etc. until we get to Matamoros. And once again we get lost. An old man (probably lived on the street) with crooked and missing teet and half blind with cataracts was riding a bicycle. He pulled over to our car window and said he could help. He said he would take us there. So, with flashers flashing, we followed this old guy on an old bicycle with wobbly tires at about 10 mph through those same scary, crappy streets in Matamoros to the International Bridge. (PS I think this was our big mistake in the first place. I think we went through the wrong bridge.) We gave him 100 pesos to which he replied that he needed 300 more. So we gave him 500 because he was actually a lifesaver. He begged cigarettes off Pete, too. Pete gave him 1, he asked for 3. Such is the way in Mexico. I'm sure that money will provide him with much for the next 2 week or more.

So it is off to the US. There are 3 lanes. We were in the middle lane, but the one to the left was moving much more quickly, so Pete moved over to it. The US guard said something to the effect that we had not done the right thing. We thought he meant that we had made a mistake driving into Mexico, but actually we were in the daily commuter lane. He gave us a warning tag and told us to drive over to the building on the left so they could search us. They (I say it was the guy, Pete says it was the girl) told us that Pete's information was in the system, so if he ever drove through the commuter lane again, it would trigger a $5,000.00 fine. Jerk. I knew the into Mexico and out of Mexico in 1 day would be a huge red flag. They opened up all of our doors and made us sit on chairs near the building while they walked around the car. There were a could of officers inside the building and I imagine they were watching us for reactions. So they sent us on our way - back in the US of A where there are traffic signs - lots of them - and no speed bumps - and a whole whole lot less stress.

I called my sister and she said our other sister was better that day. Hallelujah. So we drove on to San Antonio. We checked into the pretty pricy Crowne Plaza downtown. Walked to the River Walk and to Dick's Last Resort restaurant. We love Dick's because it's a place you can visit with people from all over - such a touristy place -and fun. Back to the hotel for a good night's sleep.

Crown Plaza confirmed my theory that the more expensive the hotel, the less likely you are to have breakfast. No free breakfast and $35/day for parking and tips and $9.95/day for internet. Can you believe that? No wonder I didn't blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment