Welcome!

Join me on a trip to the South - the far south.

My husband and I will be driving from Illinois to the Riviera Maya in Mexico.




Thursday, January 10, 2013

Wed., Jan. 9, 2013

We called the Ford dealer and he said the keys were programmed and the car started and to come in to the dealership. So I found someone who was going that way and caught a ride to the dealership. Yes, the keys are programmed and the car “attempts to start”. It needs a new fuel pump, which he cannot get because the van is 12 years old. So he suggests we get it from the US. Crapity crap crap. And no charge for programming the keys. Wow. Double wow.

I’ve always just been able to catch a collectivo on the highway and take it down to Paamul - maybe 50 cents or so. So I start walking (I promised myself I would walk more anyway, but these flip flops are definitely not my walking shoes.). I walk about 10 blocks and finally stop at an OXXO ( like our 7-11) for a soda. They tell me I can’t get a collectivo on the highway….What??? I’ll have to research this more. So I catch a cab, which costs me about $12. Grrr. Nice driver. The cabs and cab drivers are always clean down here.

When I get back with the van news, the guys decide to call a local mechanic and he will have it towed and fix it for about $600. Since we share the car, we split the cost of repairs. Great! It will be ready tomorrow. I hope that’s the American tomorrow, not the Mexican tomorrow or Manana (which actually means “another day”).

More clean, laundry, which no one wants to hear about.

We have a griddle here in Mexico (and at home). I swear I couldn’t live without it. I cook almost everything on it. Last night it was fried potatoes and onions and some awesome pork chops. I grilled the pork chops on the griddle with a teaspoon-ish of Marzetti’s garlic Italian viniagrette dressing. Man were they ever good!

So at the end of today,

Food - running out of diet coke

Car - no

Phone - check

Internet - check

Gas - check

Cable - no

hot water - check

No comments:

Post a Comment