Welcome!

Join me on a trip to the South - the far south.

My husband and I will be driving from Illinois to the Riviera Maya in Mexico.




Monday, January 10, 2011

Friday, January 7th

OMG. Only 3 hours of sleep. It’s off to the airport. The only way to go is non-stop. If I only had a carry-on, I might take a flight that had a stop. Oh heck no, I wouldn’t. Just can’t wait until Southwest flies down here. Hope they have non-stop flights. We have had great luck with USA3000 and United as far as good fares. And we have never had a complaint about their service. I sure can’t say the same for Mexicana.

Arrived in Mexico around 10:30 am. It’s sure hard to get up for an early flight, but there is so much day left! Immigration and Customs went very quickly. The Customs Officer questioned the cost of my Dish Network receiver, but I told her it was going back and forth and I whipped out my list of items and their cost in English AND Spanish. She took one list and said “Go on.”

We were picked up at the airport by Avicar Car Rental right on time and headed to the rental place. Less than ½ hour later we were headed south to Paamul. The highway to Paamul is almost all 2 lane except for the short stretch through Playa del Carmen. We hit that at “Rush Hour”, according to Pete. I laughingly pointed out that it was only 12:30 and he said everyone must be rushing home for Siesta time. LOL. They are building a by-pass that goes over the short stretch and then it will be excellent. The roads are very good from Cancun, with just a few security slow-down areas (They have topes, which are big metal disks half embedded in the road. They can be just huge ropes, but these are the metal ones.)

Now I’m realizing this is sounding more like a diary and I don’t want that. So, just a little more.

Our Palapa had the work on it finished just before we got here and had been cleaned just an hour before so it was nice and clean - even inside of the cabinets.

We unpacked everything, then went down to the Restaurant for the Crab Races (more info to come about the crab races) and to share a wonderful garlic shrimp dinner. MMM. We made it an early night.

No comments:

Post a Comment